All you need to know about motorhome regulations

The use of the motorhome, a mixture between a car and a house, is subject to rules, some of which are identical to those for other types of cars and some of which are specific to the motorhome. If you want to avoid unpleasant surprises, it is strongly advised to inform yourself about the motorhome regulations before driving or even before buying one. The aim is to enjoy a way of life that is out of the ordinary. Isn’t it? It would be a shame to break this joy with a fine for example. Roadworthiness tests, licences and type of vehicle according to weight, parking restrictions, traffic regulations, … Master these rules as best as possible before you start driving.

The technical control

The motor home is both a means of transport and a dwelling. This is where the complexity of the rules relating to them comes from. The approval rules that apply to the motor home are specific to it. Special standards have to be met. The rules concerning gas are strict. During approval, the distance of the burner from the wall is checked. The rules are the same as for other cars with regard to parking spaces, cabin, engine, etc. The technical inspections must be carried out in conventional control centres. You can also opt for centres specialising in heavy goods vehicles. The periodicity of these inspections follows the 4-2-2 year rule.

With regard to parking lots

Unless specifically prohibited, motorhomes can park anywhere a car can park. Pay attention to the signs and indications. Sleeping in your motor home is perfectly normal. However, avoid “camping on the public highway”. This expression means that if you decide to sleep in your motor home in a public place, you are not allowed to take accessories outdoors. There are places called “reception areas”. In these types of places, you can not only sleep in your motor home, but you can also take out accessories and furniture at will, as long as there is room. Common sense and courtesy should be used when there are other motor homes nearby, so as not to take up all the space.

The different types of licences for driving a motorhome

All you need is a simple B licence to drive a motorhome of 3.5 tonnes or less. If the vehicle pulls a trailer weighing 750 kilos or less, the B licence is still valid. If the sum of the weight of the towing vehicle and the trailer is between 3501 and 4250 kilos, you would need a B licence + the B96 training. This is a simple driving school training that lasts 7 hours. The BE licence will be required if the sum exceeds 4250 kilos. You need the C1E licence when the trailer weighs 3.5 tons or more. The motorhome is categorized as a heavy vehicle when it exceeds 3.5 tons. In this case, you will need either a C1 permit (if the trailer is less than 750 kilograms) or a C1E permit (when the trailer exceeds 750 kilograms).

Grilling is an important part of the camping experience!
Managing pets well in a motor home